- I broke my heel doing a flip and it's the worst feeling in the world! You can't walk, you limp a lot, and then you think "how is this possible?" I was out of dance for the longest time! It still hurts today and it happened a few months ago.
- —Guest Check317
I don't know but listen to this...
- I just popped my knee out of its place it really hurts.
- —Guest Dance girl
- I have my jazz exam tomorrow and for people who don't know what a jazz exam is, it is where you get graded and see if you go to a higher grade. So anyway, I have my jazz exam tomorrow and I was doing split jumps down my hall and twisted my ankle. It hurts even when there is no weight on it! And there is no way I can miss this.
- —Guest Minidancer999124
- I read through all of these injuries and think that my daughter has been very lucky. She started dancing when she was 4 and is 13 now and has, as of yet, never injured herself, not even an ankle twist or anything.
- —Guest Betty
Torn Cartilage in Hip
- I have been dancing since I was 3 and at the age of 17 got selected for the worlds. So in training, I picked up a lot and started to feel pain in my hip but carried on training. I danced in a local competition and landed in splits with high impact and felt a pop in my hip but just carried on. I went to physio but nothing helped. I went to see a specialst who told me I had torn the cartilage in both hips (my dominant leg had more damage) and on top of that, every time I kick my leg up it pops out of socket and back in. With all the intense training, my hip joints had gotten deformed. I still went to worlds but now have to get surgery on both hips and cant walk. I'm very far from without pain. I still dance but suffer pain doing almost every move. The things we do for what we love.
- —Guest NZ Dancer
Left Knee Cap Dislocatoin
- I was at the barre one day stretching and my left knee cap dislocated. It was so scary and painful. I went through three months of PT and when I had healed I went back to dance. A couple of weeks after I went back, I was just standing at barre and it dislocated halfway because I was wearing a brace. So, I had to have surgery, which was about 8 weeks ago. It is called MPFL reconstruction. I have had a pretty good recovery so far. I am just hoping that I will be able to return back to dance fully and fulfill my dream of becoming a professional ballerina.
- —Guest BallerinaCBear
- About two-thirds of the way through the season, my right ankle always felt like it needed to be cracked, like it was jammed, but now matter how much I would crack it, it would still hurt. Two months after I noticed it, it had gotten to the point where a roll up from plie to pointe was literally impossible, it hurt so bad. Turns out I had OCD of my talus bone, an actual piece of my bone broke off in my ankle. I had to get it surgically fixed and was in a boot and on crutches forever.
- —Guest Cailin
- Pole bruises! My skinny and bony legs get bruised all the time. Oh, and my butt is twisted from doing over splits, it hurts! That's what brought me here.
- —Guest Kapi
Moved Growth Plate
- While performing I somehow hit my foot so hard it moved the growth plate in my big toe joint. I didnt realize the injury for about 1 month when I got a stabbing pain in my foot while doing roll ups on point. I was put in a shoe for a month, which moved the plate back, but it was still swollen. I did a week on crutches and the shoe for another month. Finally we found out that the way my feet are built Im a target for those kinds of injuries. On top of that I have naturally Hyper Extended Knees.
- —Guest green
- I was at a dance competition and landed a jump. Right away I felt a pop. Turns out I tore my ACL. But good news! I had surgery and am back to full dance. Hallelujah!
- —Guest Jillian
Some pulled leg muscle?
- So I must have done it in dance class, or in a practice or something, but I think it was when I was starting double spins. I was doing one, and forgot to spot, and I landed on the floor. My upper thigh/butt was in so much pain! I then went on for months doing the splits, and jumps, thinking it was normal to have a stinging bloodshot pain in my upper thigh. So now after getting annoyed with it, I went to the doctor and she told me to stay off it for 1-2 (maybe 3) weeks! I'm kind of sad, but I'm already a few weeks in, and I'm afraid of losing my talent in dance. But you know, after listening to some of you guys' stories, I don't feel so bad!
- —Guest movengrooovedancer
- I have been dancing for 9 years and my very first injury just happened. While learning tryout routines, I did a barrel turn and rolled out, twisting my wrist. After 3 days of swelling, even with ice, and lots of pain, I got some X-rays. I have torn ligaments. I ended up still trying out, just in a half-arm cast. I made the team though.
- —Guest Dancer4life
- I have tendonitis in both of my ankles, one of my knees, and my wrist. I also have a stress fracture in my knee cap ( the one with tendinitis) and the knee cap is dislocated. I just fractured my pelvis as well. On top of that, my company goes to nationals in two weeks and I can't go.
- —Guest Anne
Watching the Russian State Ballet
- Corps de ballet was way out of sync, poor musical timing, skeletal orchestra, frail and unsteady prima ballerina, complete lack of technical polish. It was painful.
- —Guest Disappointed
Shooting toe pain
- I was practicing my lyrical dance and when I went on my tip toes. My toe started to get a shooting pain that felt like I was being pinched with full force. I tried to massage it but it only helped for a very short time, until it was back again. I have no idea what this is or what could have caused it. Any ideas?
- —Guest Harper