Dance for Beginners
Learn to Dance
Dance is a wonderful hobby enjoyed by many people throughout the world. Besides being lots of fun, dancing is good for you, both physically and mentally. Anyone can learn how to dance...it's all a matter of learning how to move your body.
- How to Move Your Body
- Warming Up for Dance
- Improve Your Balance
- Strengthen Your Back Muscles
- Strengthen Your Leg Muscles
- Learn to Find the Beat in Music
- Importance of Timing
- How to Do the Splits
- Stretches for Splits
- Straddle Stretch Routine for Splits
- How To Do a Butterfly Stretch
- Becoming a Dancer
Choose a Dance Style
Are you a bit overwhelmed by the many different dance styles? With so many styles of dance to choose from, how do you know which one is right for you?
Find a Dance Class
Once decide to start dancing, you may want to enroll in a few classes. How do you find the right dance class? What should you look for in a teacher?
- How to Find a Dance Class
- Choosing a Dance School
- Qualities of a Good Dance Instructor
- Getting the Most Out of a Dance Class
Dress for Dance
Wearing appropriate dance attire allows you to feel comfortable and move freely. Here are some guidelines for how to dress for dance class.
- Before You Buy Dance Gear
- Choosing a Leotard
- Convertible Tights
- Taking Care of Tights
- What to Wear to Jazz Class
- Buying Jazz Shoes
- How to Dress for Ballet
- Buying Ballet Shoes
- Make Your Ballet Shoes Last Longer
- Make Your Pointe Shoes Last Longer
- Make a Ballerina Bun
Start Your Child in Dance
Dance is a wonderful activity for children. Besides basic dance skills, a dance class can teach a child respect, concentration and confidence. Learn how to introduce your child to the wonderful world of dance.
- Getting Kids Started
- Benefits of Ballet Lessons
- When to Start Ballet Lessons
- Guide for the Young Ballerina
- Learn Ballet Dance Expressions
- Can You Afford Ballet Classes?
- Surviving Dance Recitals
- Dance Recital Must-Have List
- Applying Stage Makeup
- How to Apply Eyeliner
- What Is a Stage Mom?
See Dancers in Action
Dance seems to be everywhere these days. From reality television shows to the big screen, people love to watch good dancers. Have you ever been to a live dance performance? Perhaps you have been to the ballet. Are you familiar with audience etiquette?
- The Rockettes
- 10 Movies for Dance Lovers
- All About "Dancing With the Stars"
- Enjoying a Ballet
Learn About the Classic Ballets
Before finding your seat at the ballet, make sure you know a little bit about the story. Every classical ballet tells a story, sometimes happy and sometimes sad. If you familiarize yourself with the story beforehand, the performance will be even more enjoyable.