Is it okay?
- When I do the splits for about 40 seconds, the pain goes away and it starts feeling almost tickley...is that okay?
- —Guest Dancer
Help me please
- I love gymnastics! I am trying to work on my splits but I'm one inch of the right leg and on the left leg... well, I am almost a foot off the ground! Can anyone help me on doing great stretches?
- —Guest Gymnest
Get them down
- I almost have my splits down and I am ten and a lot of my day I sit in my splits and when I stretch really good i can go all the way down. So, watch TV when doing them so you can not really feel them.
- —Guest alyssa c
It takes time and practice
- When I was 15 I was at least a foot off the ground when I did right and left splits, and after training in taekwondo and dance, stretching and pushing myself (but not to the point of extreme pain), I can do the splits! I am 22 years old now, so yes it takes time (but I didn't train every day, so if you do it won't take as long). I can't quite sit in the splits yet, but that's my next goal! Don't ever give up.
- —Guest Shorty
- I go into a lunge, then go deeper into splits, singing the ABC's, so I don't remind myself of the pain! It really helped.
- —Guest annie
Ouch, ha ha!
- Splits are really hard! You have to laugh it off and not go, "ouch!" It really helps build confidence and you will have your splits down farther.
- —Guest dancin ggurllll
- I stretch every day, just about. And I have gotten do much better. Here's what I do: 1. Go into a pike. That is, put both legs in front of you. Point toes! Try touching your head to your knees. Just try. Then, flex your feet. 2. Do the splits, just go as far as you can WITHOUT PAIN. Then hold for 15-30 seconds. These help me a lot! Try them!
- —Guest Ashera L.
- One stretch that helps me is to put yourself in the lunge position, put the arch of your nose to your knee so it fits comfortably with the curve of your knee. Keep your head on your knee at all times. Slowly slide the foot of your bent knee forward as far as it can go, then slowly put all of your weight on the ground. Hold it for 20 seconds, if you can. Then, do it a few more times. Return to the lunging position, (make sure you don't have anything for your foot to run into behind you!) and slide your back leg backward until your front leg straightens out. Put all your weight onto the middle of yourself. Hold it for 20 seconds if you can. Repeat a few times. This tends to be more affective for me. Do this and a few other various stretches (as featured in other articles) for at LEAST 10-30 min a day, EVERYDAY, and you should be able to do a split soon.
- —Guest Shae
- Include plie in your warm up exercise. You can do that for 7 days and on the 8th day try to split by stretching your right leg in front of you and stretch the left leg behind. Sit in between them. Do it every day...before too long it becomes effortless.
- —Guest Anita
Tips 4 Splits
- 1. First you want to take a nice warm shower/bath and soak for about 15 min that will relax your muscles. 2. Then you want to go outside and run for about 5-10 min. 3. now go stretch your legs for about 10-15 min and run for about 5 more min. 4. Then you want to get into the position of the split (it might burn) and put your hands on your hips and just slide down as far as you can. 5. Now you've stretched out your muscles good enough to get a lot farther in your split. Repeat these steps for about 5 days and you will be able to do a full side split.
- —Guest McKenzie- SC
Every Muscle and Joint
- It is important to warm up every muscle before dancing. The same is true with doing the splits. I found that by stretching my calves, hamstrings, quadriceps, and hips, I was able to get into the splits faster. Before when I couldn't do them, I would try so hard to get down, but was never successful. I learned that by stretching each individual muscle, I was able to not only get in the splits, but my dancing improved as well. Maybe this will work for you. Good luck!
- —Guest Ballerina Bridget
Im almost there on the right split
- I do stretch every day if I can but it's pretty painful. I feel like my muscles are really tense. I almost have it on the right split, though. I'm so close but whenever I do the left my knees bend and then I give up. Does someone have advice ?
- —Guest Alexandra Luna
- I cannot do the splits and I need help. I'm about 2 feet off the ground and would like to start sometime this week.
- —Guest .........
I don't know how to do the splits
- I don't know how to do the splits but kick your leg on the bathroom counter and touch your toes.
- —Guest umm
- This is the worst possible advice and should be removed from the page. Forcing splits and ignoring the pain will only lead to damage of the tendons, ligaments and muscles. Splits CANNOT be done by everyone. You can improve your splits through hard work and patient persistence, but if your body is not built for splits, you will only hurt yourself seriously by working against it.
- —Guest Susan Harvey