Ouch! Most dancers have suffered an injury...one minute you're dancing, the next minute you're on the floor. What's the worst dance injury you've ever had? Share your story with others.
Share Your Dance Injury
- i have recently torn/damaged all the ligaments in the front and the back of my knee im in so much pain but luckly my dancing finished the day before I did it! im so worried about not being able to dance again! It will ruin my life! please everyone that does do dancing be carefull of little things like this! I only fell onto my knees you just never know how bad its actually going to be
- —Guest georgia
achilles teninitis :(
- My Achilles tendinitis has been hurting on and off since May. It's October now and I have to sit out of dance for 2 weeks. I am realllllly sad. I miss ballet.
- —Guest Hannah ♥
- A few months ago my drill team was having camp, and being stiff from the summer I overstretched myself. On friday for showoffs, I was in so much pain I was crying and couldn't lift either leg off the ground more than five inches. It took me two weeks of rest and absolutely no kick dances before i was ready for action again, but I still have continuous leg problems today. As a tip, don't try to push yourself if you're not very well stretched, you'll hurt yourself!
- —Guest Brigadette
- This injury sucks! I have gotten it before from over stretching my right splits.After that I couldn't do certain stretches without feeling pain in the back of my right leg.I continued stretching for days following because I didn't think it was a big deal.The injury was still existing the next week and I was so scared it wouldn't go away ever and I would loose my flexibility from not stretching.This injury sucks big time!!! So if your reading this...don't overstretch anything and if it starts to hurt stop doing the stretch right away . Lol I learned the hard way and I regretted overstretching myself the following weeks!
- —Guest Dancelovex
- When I was 6, I began to have hip problems. One day, I was doing a leap and finished in arabesque but didn't plie. I heard this cracking noise and fell to the floor and then passed out from the pain. When I woke up, it turned out that the 'hip problems' was a loose piece of cartilage and when i didn't plie, it hit the ball of my hip just right and shattered it into 17 pieces. So now I have a metal ball in place of the bone.
- —Guest Alyssa
i have to quit
- i've been dancing all my life, and i just finish my first year at norways best danceschool just now.. last summer my knee was dislocate and i tore a hole bucnh of things in my knee.. the doctors told me i would never be able to dance again i would only make it worse... i guess they were right, because now it have happend again.. i have dedicated all my life to dance, i've lost all of my friends because i love dance more, and i always choose dance before anything... now my carrier is gone and i don't know what to do.. i bassically have nothing left.. i pushed all of my friends and family away.. they almost don't speak to me. Be careful about your injurys... don't push it
- —Guest amanda
- I am 13 turning 14 in a few days. I got my side aerial a few weeks ago but I can't get it now. I have been trying really hard and I keep landing on my ankle wrong. I keep twisting my ankle and falling to my knees. But I just get back up and try it again. This keeps happening over and over again. I went to the doctor a long time ago and I got x-rays. They said it was just loose ligaments. But now that I'm doing them everyday they are hurting a lot more. I have gotten loose ligaments a long time ago, probably about 3 years ago, and the doctors sent me to physical therapy. They have never stopped hurting since but I am determined to get my aerial again
- —Guest Shaylah
- I'm 15 and I dislocated my knee cap half way and I have a show in 6 weeks I get my cast off next week and then physio I should be fully recovered for the show but please wish me luck!! This is not going to stop me dancing i am determined to come back stronger than ever!!!
- —Guest Dancer
Left Knee Cap Dislocatoin
- I was at the barre one day stretching and my left knee cap dislocated. It was so scary and painful. I went through three months of PT and when I had healed I went back to dance. A couple of weeks after I went back, I was just standing at barre and it dislocated halfway because I was wearing a brace. So, I had to have surgery, which was about 8 weeks ago. It is called MPFL reconstruction. I have had a pretty good recovery so far. I am just hoping that I will be able to return back to dance fully and fulfill my dream of becoming a professional ballerina.
- —Guest BallerinaCBear
- About two-thirds of the way through the season, my right ankle always felt like it needed to be cracked, like it was jammed, but now matter how much I would crack it, it would still hurt. Two months after I noticed it, it had gotten to the point where a roll up from plie to pointe was literally impossible, it hurt so bad. Turns out I had OCD of my talus bone, an actual piece of my bone broke off in my ankle. I had to get it surgically fixed and was in a boot and on crutches forever.
- —Guest Cailin
- Pole bruises! My skinny and bony legs get bruised all the time. Oh, and my butt is twisted from doing over splits, it hurts! That's what brought me here.
- —Guest Kapi
Moved Growth Plate
- While performing I somehow hit my foot so hard it moved the growth plate in my big toe joint. I didnt realize the injury for about 1 month when I got a stabbing pain in my foot while doing roll ups on point. I was put in a shoe for a month, which moved the plate back, but it was still swollen. I did a week on crutches and the shoe for another month. Finally we found out that the way my feet are built Im a target for those kinds of injuries. On top of that I have naturally Hyper Extended Knees.
- —Guest green
- I was at a dance competition and landed a jump. Right away I felt a pop. Turns out I tore my ACL. But good news! I had surgery and am back to full dance. Hallelujah!
- —Guest Jillian
Some pulled leg muscle?
- So I must have done it in dance class, or in a practice or something, but I think it was when I was starting double spins. I was doing one, and forgot to spot, and I landed on the floor. My upper thigh/butt was in so much pain! I then went on for months doing the splits, and jumps, thinking it was normal to have a stinging bloodshot pain in my upper thigh. So now after getting annoyed with it, I went to the doctor and she told me to stay off it for 1-2 (maybe 3) weeks! I'm kind of sad, but I'm already a few weeks in, and I'm afraid of losing my talent in dance. But you know, after listening to some of you guys' stories, I don't feel so bad!
- —Guest movengrooovedancer
- I have been dancing for 9 years and my very first injury just happened. While learning tryout routines, I did a barrel turn and rolled out, twisting my wrist. After 3 days of swelling, even with ice, and lots of pain, I got some X-rays. I have torn ligaments. I ended up still trying out, just in a half-arm cast. I made the team though.
- —Guest Dancer4life