Ouch! Most dancers have suffered an injury...one minute you're dancing, the next minute you're on the floor. What's the worst dance injury you've ever had? Share your story with others.
Share Your Dance Injury
;( my toe
- I had really bad ingrown toenails so I went to get one removed from surgery during the summer. The doctor shoved medicine to kill the nail bed down to my knuckle. He shoved it way too far. Now I can bend my toe and its extremely painful and I have another ingrown on the same toe and I cant put any pressure at all on my toe and it even hurts to wear socks and its keeping me away from point and im really really upset. I want to do pointe really bad and I want to be a dancing teacher but im scared I wont be able to because of the stupid doctor that messed up my life.
- —Guest Jamie
- I did an Ariel and I landed on my right knee. I went down pretty hard, and I tried to get up and it just wouldn't work. A day later it was still hurting and swollen. I went to the hospital and it turned out I had been dancing with a fractured knee for a week.
- —Guest Kelseythedancer
Stress fracture in back (lumber)
- I have to take 5 more weeks no dance it only hirts when I bend back and a little forward
- —Guest Sophiadance
My groin/ Hip Flexor is injured badly
- My groin/hip flexor has been hurting for 4 days so far and it hurts to do pretty much anything especially dance related stuff!! What do I do? Like it hurts to bad and I have competition starting in a few weeks - I need this to be fixed fast please and thank you :)
- —Guest Dancerprobs101
Cut open Ankle
- When I was 10, I was practicing for a dance presentation that my dance school was asked to do. I was in my living room, had the music up and did a cartwheel, and I fell into the stainless steel curved fireplace, slicing my ankle open badly in two places pretty deep. Fat cells were hanging out and thick skin was hanging off. I was on crutches for a few days and had it all stuck together and bandaged. It didn't heal for two months but I still danced around a bit. I now have a disgusting scar. I'm very clumsy.
- —Guest Dancer Shannon
- My 15 year old is in extreme pain her abs tore during rehearsal tonight
- —Guest horton
- I've been dancing for a very long time but recently I've noticed that my bug toe joint hurts after I finish dancing. It's very painful and I have no idea why this is happening. Help!!
- —Guest guest dancer
- I used to have achilles tendinitis because I didn't stretch my achilles enough before I danced. The most common time to get achilles tendonitis is 10-12 which is when I got it. Its really painful and lasts about 3-6 months so if you have it it doesn't mean you have to stop dancing just make sure you stretch it really well before physical activity and if it gets to sore rest it. Another cause of achilles tendonitis is over streching your achilles e.g. cramming your feet and toes under a doorway to get a better point which only hurts and doesn't help.
- —Guest Dancer4567
- I went to a intense dance workshop and danced really hard. The next day when ever I turned my neck it really hurt. I just had to lay in bed for a few days and I missed a performance which really sucked
- —Guest Dancer4567
- I have really bad knee pain in my left knee and I couldn't jump or put pressure on it. When I went to the doctors they diagnosed as alignment problems. My ankles have always collapsed in and now I need orthotics because it is affecting my ankles, knees and hips.
- —Guest Cdancer
ankles and wrists
- I really qanted to learn my side aerial really bad. I have a mat so I figured I can't get hurt that bad. I tried it a couple of times and decided I would go for it all this time . I did and I cracked my ankle on a fireplace and my wrist on the ground. It hurt pretty bad. But I'm the person that gets up and does it again so I did. This time I landed on the same wrist but doing that made it feel better. Thus I know is a bizarre story but it happened. I can know successfully do a left side aerial! Because my dance teacher always said work through the pain and I did.
- —Guest emma
- A couple years ago, when I was a little child. I'd always forget to stretch. One day I wanted to do a handstand during dance class. Then, suddenly my wrist started to hurt and I fell. I didn't think it was serious, so I ignored it. The next day I got a huge bump on my wrist, so I told my mom and we went to the doctors. The doctor said that I sprained my wrist slightly. He didn't give me a cast which you can sign he said that I should use one of those stick on casts. After a few weeks it got better. But till this day when I bend my wrist back too far it starts to hurt a little. (' _') ('-')
- —Guest smiles
- I was doing the frog stretch, down nearly to the floor, and it was hurting a bit but I held it for the 1 min - then my dog came into the room and jumped on my back. My inner thigh muscles are strained and slightly torn, and I couldn't do any split or hip stretches for three weeks. It hurt to walk for 3 days!
- —Guest Imogen
ouch! my foot!!
- I have been dancing since I was 4 years old and these last couple of months, whilst I've been rehearsing for my upcoming show, my foot has really started to ache. I've been warming up properly and walking through my feet and walking properly and stuff. But I don't know what's causing the pain in the arch of my foot but it's quite painful when I walk on my feet. I've tried to massage it but some how it still seems to really hurt. I've not bothered going to the doctors as half the time they are useless and you can't even manage to get an appointment with them. But I haven't a clue what's causing the pain?
- —Guest fiva dancer
knee and foot
- so this past competition year has been interesting. I started it off by dislocating my knee. then one of my classmates Hannah pulled her hamstrings, then another, Kenzie, sprained her ankle. once Hannah's muscle was feeling better she left a dance room with her tap shoes still on and slipped and sprained HER ankle. oh ya and gabby broke her toe but whatevs. so only one person from our group was dancing for like 2 weeks. then it was my first day back at dancing again full out and so I was working on my aerial. I almost landed it multiple times but it never actually happened. but from doing it so much I kept landing my foot wrong. throughout the day it just got worse to the point where I couldn't walk. turned out I broke the outside of my foot. I didn't get to compete at regionals this year but NATIONALS HERE I COME!!! it really sucked just sitting there watching all my teammates tho I wish I could've competed :(
- —Guest dancer125