Dislocated knee (patella)
- My knee popped out of place while doing barre work, ligament damage. I'm so scared of it happening again. I'm so not brave! Turns out I have hyperextended ligaments.
- —Guest Chloe
Dislocated kneecap / torn ligaments
- I'm not a professional dancer but I was in a club doing the same spin as I have done a million times before (my dad calls me the tazmanian devil) and my right knee went, so down I went. After my friend gave me my aftershock while I was lying on the ground, the staff took it away. Best thing about it, I was only in the club 15 minutes. At this present time I'm in a full leg plaster coming upon two weeks. The pain is so bad but I cannot wait to get on the dance floor. The worst thing is my left knee is unstable as I did the same thing ten years ago. It is now getting the exercise it should have gotten back then.
- —Guest Miss street freestylez
- I had a ballet duet at a local competition. It was pretty early and the stage was really slippery. Even after warming up to the point I was dripping in sweat, when I slid into a split on my right foot, I felt something on my right upper thigh pop. I was in a TON of pain. It really felt like someone shot my in the leg. I finished my dance and had to ice it until a group number I was in later that day. I finally healed 100% a couple months after with physical therapy and rest.
- —Guest Lillie
- My arms and legs are hyperextended and so apparently my knee cap pops in and out of place. Well, when I got up from the floor it popped out and I had to push it back in. I can't dance for 6 weeks. This is torture for me. Who knew being flexible could be a bad thing?
- One of the injuries I have had in dancing is spraining my feet, especially when I took a wrong step...
- —Guest ara alfaro
- I have a very, very flexible back and it's very arched all of the time. One day I was doing aerials and then my lower right side started to hurt so bad. I kept dancing for a few months through the pain then the left started hurting too. It was the worst pain ever imaginable. I was thinking how it is in my back...I'm young! Why is this happening to me? So I went to a chiropractor and got xrays ... nothing showed up. So he did regular treatment every day for three weeks. It did not get better. Then I got an MRI and in it they saw two stress fractures in my L4 on each side, left and right. I was told to be out for three and a half months and given a back brace. A month later was nationals. I wasn't supposed to dance...but I did. I went back to the docter three weeks ago and got a CT scan and the left side is completely healed but the right isn't. So I am dancing with my brace which is very difficult! My back is still hurting. I hope it heals by competition season!
- —Guest Lauren
- I messed up my ankle a day before my 15th. I was at the last practice when all of a sudden I'm on the floor. I don't know how it happened, just remembered being on the floor in pain with everyone surrounding me. I thought it was a sprain but the next morning I woke up in tears. After a few months of me being stubborn and not wanting to see a doctor, I gave in and it turns out I had torn a ligament. I had to wear a brace for months. After those months I got new heels and thought I'd try them out and dance in them. While I was dancing the heel got stuck to the carpet (I'm in the living room). I messed up the same ankle I had twisted so I ended up on the floor in tears. I don't wear heels anymore. My 15 was more than a year ago and my ankle still hurts to this day.
- —Guest teen
- I tore my mcl and dislocated my kneecap all doing a kick out of a turn. I'm still in a brace after 4 months...but I go back to dance class in a week. The life of a dancer!
- —Guest tiara
- Two weeks before my big show I got ankle tenosynovitis and continued dancing...on pointe, 7 months later, and weeks of physical therapy, it still hurts.
- —Guest Hannah
Elbow, then Knee
- Dislocated my elbow during a dress rehearsal the night before the show, then in a panic re-set it myself. (Yes, I'm fine.) A few months later I tore my PCL in my left knee and then developed a Baker's cyst there as well. I'm in physical therapy now, (no surgery needed) but am still suffering complications from that one.
- —Guest Libby
Torn tendons in my knee
- I was practicing for my dance recital and I have to leap turn and land in a split, and I am a very flexible person and have done that move a million times, so when I landed and heard it I knew I was done. The pain was unbearable and even worse I couldn't dance in my recital. I'll be on crutches for weeks and in a brace for months and whether I'll be able to dance again in the next year is questionable.
- —Guest alexis
- I am a dancer and I just became flexible this year. I have pulled both hamstrings in the last two months. It's horrible and there's a lot of pain but not only pain, I can't stretch which means I can't be flexible for dance and sometimes when I dance it reallly hurts. How long does it take to heal? My left hamstring I pulled 2 1/2 months ago and my right last week. Also, what caused them to pull?
- —Guest Dancer
Fractured my foot
- I was practicing leaps and came down on the side of my foot. The crack was so loud it could be heard over the music. I immediately collapsed to the floor and was unable to stand up and place any weight on it. I had a spiral fracture or a "dancer's fracture". I was unable to put any weight on the foot for over two months in order to avoid surgery to repair the fracture. Although the surgeon who treated said I probably would not dance again, I'm still dancing. (Although I now struggle with a knee injury that may require surgery soon.)
- —Guest Andrea
- I was at a competition. In the middle of my rehearsal, I was supposed to bring my leg up toward my head. The choreographer pushed too hard too quickly, then my leg that was on the ground just gave in. . I heard it snapping. I was dislocated. Yeah, that's, me chicken legs! Everybody tried to convince me wrong but I knew I had chicken legs :'(. . But well look at me today...3 months later, still dancing even though it hurts every single day of my life.
- —Guest Steph
Torn, Then Twisted Then Collapsed
- Well I am a dancer. I'm 15 and I do ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop and musical theater. Me and a group of dancing friends were doing a dance for the school talent quest. We had warmed up but not well. In our dance (it was Jazz/Hip-hop/Funk) we had 3 sets of splits. On the first, about 10 second into the dance I went down and heard a tearing sound, felt the pain but just ignored it as it was a fairly short dance. So I did the next two sets of splits, four high kicks, two fans with a smile stuck on my face. When we finished I managed to get off stage. I couldn't walk. I went to my friend's whose mum was a nurse that night. Only then did we notice the huge black bruise under my bum. Doctor said I had completely torn the top of my hamstring off my bone. 3 months on crutches, 1 month with one and 8 months of physio. I can dance again but it still hurts. Oh the joys of dancing.
- —Guest Lauren