- I started ballet this year. I'm 16 now and I'm about to be 17. I started dance (just jazz) when I was 15. People tell me I'm good, but lately I've realized that I really love dancing. I've thought about becoming a professional (maybe a professional ballerina) but I don't know if I'm too old. Everywhere I look it says you need to start at like 5. Also it says it takes about 7 years of dance to be on pointe, and that you need that to be a professional. Ballet is probably my favorite dance class I have taken so far, and I absolutely love it.
- —Guest Tori
What age did I start ballet?
- I started ballet at age 3 yrs old and I went on taking all of my exams until I left school. I would give anything to still be able to do it now.
- —Guest loll
At age 8
- I started when I was 8 and then I practiced and now I'm a ballerina.
- —Guest lilly hamdon
Can I be a pro? Or did I start too late?
- I just started ballet. I'm doing a parks and rec class to start, until I get into my dance studio. Did I start too late to be a professional dancer? Also, how long does it take to start En pointe?
- —Guest Emilia
- I'm going to be 11 in January and this is going to be really only my 2 year. I started at 10 of age at San Francisco Ballet. It was a year scholarship from school. I didn't get in the next year,but I'm deffinetly going to start again in January. I don't know if it's to late though.
- —Guest Balletlover
- I wanted to do ballet when I was 7 my dad took me to the place for it. But didnt put me in a class because he felt starting at ages 2-8 are to young because your being forced to do it. Also because they want you to where makeup and buy costums and my parent felt thats not good for childeren so young. Im 14 now I started last year with a church that teaches ballet. Im sticking with it I have a dance class at school I do and I do jazz and ballet now. Fun!
- —Guest Calley
6 but stopped
- When I was 6 I did ballet and enjoyed it. My mum took me out of ballet because she hated the ballet school because they stopped lessons or something, so I want to start ballet to gain fitness and flexibility but not become a professional, can I start? Please answer with the name Edstar in the title :)
- —Guest Edstar
- I started when I was 13 years old and right away when I walked into the dance studio I felt embarrassed. All the girls were 6-9 years old! I had no friends and I was always left out. Once i even almost cried. Pretty soon I started going there and I kept reminding myself that its not a big deal because I was here to dance and the embarrassment held me back from doing my best. So I started working hard in and out of class then after a few weeks of constantly practicing, I became very good and I received compliments. After the recital my teacher took me to the class with older girls ages 11-14 and I didn't feel left out anymore! Hard work pays off girls, so if you are thinking of starting dance at a later age, go for it! I'm telling you, in the end, it all pays off!
- —Guest Katie
i wanna do ballet again
- im actually 13 and i had done ballet a while ago i would say when i was 4-5 years old which is a 8-9 years ago so i basically forgot everything and i only quit because my parents decide that it would be better for me to start chool in new york which was a great decision but i feel like if i never left inwould still be dancing but i wouldnt have my bestfriend and the education that i have now so im really grateful and ive notice that i still really wanted to start dancing again so i look on youtube for some basic moves and im taiwanese so i learned my ballet in taiwan and i didnt really learn the words for every move anyways i tried some moves like warm up well thats what they said it was on the video such as the touching my head with feet and i coulnt reach and i am pretty tall for my age im 5'6 at 13 yrs old and i do slouch but i always try my best not to cause it does affect my breathing when i sit up straight sounds odd but im getting use to it and isnt a big problem but is it late?
- —Guest stephanie lin
- I'm 15 and really want to learn ballet but there are no classes where i live! What should i do? :\
- —Guest Apoorva
- I did ballet from the time I was 3-10 years old. I really want to go back now but would it be too late to go pro?
- —Guest 7 years
- I started at 2 years old, and am still going strong (13 in November)! Ballet has become a part of who I am, and it has provided me with peace and comfort during my life (I have many family problems) and my depression. I haven't gone on pointe yet, I'm going on pointe in October - November and am super excited! Just remember, to all aspiring ballerinas - A great dancer is great because of her passion, not her technique.
- —Guest dancingdramer
- I've always wanted to dance and finally at age 11 my Mom's gonna let me take some ballet lessons. I've always wanted to be a ballerina. Is it too late for me?
- —Guest Zoey
- I really want to do ballet, I'm turning 13 this year, and I have never really done ballet and I would LOVE to start this year, and I don't want to be in a beginning class with like 5 years olds, I am pretty flexible, and I have got my splits in 3 days, I can't find classes in Maryland, and my parents are divorced so I don't want to put too much money on my mom, but if any can find a class please reply I will work my hardest!
- —Guest So many problems :(
- I just started ballet this June and I'm absolutely into it! Mom opposed but finally agreed and even began to stretch with me every morning. It's gonna be tough at the beginning but you'll soon look back and realize how far have you gotten. I wish to be a principal but here in my country ballet isn't much appreciated
- —Guest Maiden