I started ballet when I was two!
- I am now 13 and still do ballet, and I'm now en pointe.
- —Guest milly
- I've always wanted to sign up, but never got the chance to. I am 15, and finally got my mum to agree and I'm going to start tomorrow. Can't wait! Personally, I feel it's possible to start late and still excel as long as you have the passion.
- —Guest Faith
When I started
- I started ballet in pre-school. It was just pre-ballet and I loved it! I did quite a few performances: Copellia, Sleeping Beauty, and The Nutracker (2 times) and a spring performance. I quit when I was in 4th grade because I did not have enough time, but I am seriously regretting it. I want to start up again and I am 13 now. It won't be easy but it's worth a try!
- —Guest Leila
I started at two
- Then did ballet until I was 14 and quit for high school. Now I'm 18 and seriously considering going back to ballet. I have this huge fear that I've forgotten everything though
- —Guest Becka
- I did ballet for about half a year when I was about 4, but quit because I got bored easily. Now, at the age of 13, I want to start again, but don't know if I can, as I don't know how flexible I am.
- —Guest sian
I was only 2
- I was only 2 when I started. I was doing four classes at a time and loved it. I quit at age 9 to start focusing on gymnastics. Now I want to get back into it at 14.
- —Guest dancer
I Was Three...
- I started ballet when I was 3. (I believe it was mostly pre-ballet, though I'm not 100% sure.) I danced anywhere from 1-3 times a week (more as I got older) up until I was about 11. (then I decided to stop and do competitive swimming instead.) However, I'm starting to want to get back into it, possibly doing regular classes and then moving onto lyrical or modern ballet.
- —Guest Kait
- My little sister begged my mom for ballet, so at three years old she became a dedicated ballerina. She is much more flexible than her 15-year-old cousin who goes to a special school for ballet, and is very proud. She now, at six, has exceptional ballet and balance skills along with amazing flexibility and strength. I think as long as you wish to do it you should. I'm 12 and wish to start between now and summer vacation.
- —Guest Young.
i wanted to
- I always wanted to do ballet when I was a little kid, but my mother told me it was a waste of time. Then we moved to a small country town when I was 9, and 12 years later at almost 21, I'm still here. So I never got the chance and I'm disappointed, because 21 is WAY too late.
- —Guest ellie
From a teacher and professional
- Nikki - you actually can start 'proper' training too young; as stated in the article the demands of ballet training are not suitable for young, developing bodies. The age you start doesn't affect your ability to go on pointe either; your own teacher started "late" at 14. Commencing pointe work depends on the strength of your ankles and your technique. I started ballet at 16 and am one of the strongest dancers en pointe amoungst 80+ students and semi- professionals I have danced with in my time. Start at any age - but be aware of what limitations that may entail: 3 - 6 year-olds cannot handle (except a rare few) genuine ballet training, 18+ year-olds are going to find it more difficult as their bodies aren't so malleable. Dreams of becoming a professional after starting at 25 are unrealistic. Not impossible, but unrealistic.
- —Guest emboite
I began at 4
- I started when I was 4. I was in a pre-ballet classes and now I've been doing it for 11 years and love it! It all depends on your strength & flexibilty whether or not you can be a professional. Otherwise for fun you can start whenever.
- —Guest emily
Will i ever do dance class?
- My mom always keeps saying no, but i think its up to me, isn't it?
- —Guest calnisha
I was 8
- When I started I was 8 then I stopped because I moved. I just started again and I'm almost 12. I have had some catching up but it was worth it. It didn't take me long to remember all I did.
- —Guest dancergirl
How old should you be for ballet?
- I am 11 yrs old. I am going to start ballet. It looks fun!
- —Guest tasha
- I am fourteen years old and I am beginning classes next year.
- —Guest Jill