To properly execute many of the technical steps and poses of ballet
, a dancer must pay particular attention to strengthening the back muscles. The muscles in the back are very important in ballet because they help stabilize the body, giving the appearance of fluidity and control with every move of the body. The following exercises will help to strengthen your all-important back muscles.
- Lie face-down with your head resting on your upper arms.
- Relax your neck and shoulders.
- Straighten your legs behind you, parallel.
- Slowly lift your left leg up and to the back. Make sure your knee is straight and your toes are pointed.
- At the same time the left leg is lifting, concentrate on lengthening your right leg. Try to push it far behind you, as if it is releasing from the hip joint.
- Slowly lower your left leg to the starting position.
- Repeat with the right leg, then do a few more repetitions with each leg.